Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Printing from Linux to Windows(R). Part I Window(R) 98

Yes, maybe I'm suprising you, but it is my real history. At the (chemistry) laboratory, where I'm working we have an old machine with pre-installed Windows(R) 98, to which is connected a Xerox 3121 through parallel port (parport or LPT). At work I've just installed Kubuntu 8.04 to check how people made it popular (Debian Lenny works perfectly on my home desktop). In my opinion, Kubuntu, in particular, and Ubuntu, in general, are worth to be desktop distrib. But it is another history.


1. My attempt to print from Kubuntu box to Windows(R) 98 by CUPS/Samba was fail. But I going to describe it here:

1.1. Share printer on Windows(R) 98 host:
Open Control Panel -> Network Settings -> Access to Files and Printers (or similar, I use Russian Version of Windows(R) 98). Open Printers Setting -> Share (under a simple name, for example, XEROX).

1.2. Make sure you have cupsys, splix packages installed, because Xerox 3121 uses splix driver, then open in a web browsers CUPS administration interface at http://127.0.0.1:631. Add printer via device URI smb://192.168.8.210/XEROX, and choose driver (manufacturer Xerox, model Xerox 3121 with locale version of driver, en and some others available). Finally, give root as username and its password to add new printer. At the end, you can configure the new added printer.

Attention: Ubuntu users must give their name (not root). I think they know better than me :).

But when printing to new printer I got this error message in the Printer tab of CUPS administration web interface: "Unable to connect to CIFS host". And:

$ smbclient -L 192.168.8.210
session request to 192.168.8.210 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

I'm not a super user, but I guest Windows 98 does not support printer sharing via Samba, or that feature is not working the right way, because of this concret Windows(R) distribution. Although, files sharing (read & write) works well.

2. I've resolved this problem in the other way. Search a bit, I've found an article about LPD Win (developed by G. Zander) - a LPD service for Windows(R) before 2000. Download it, extract the archive, and configure this small program (setup spool, allowed hosts, add to registry to run as service, add new printer, configure this printer as local one), that all we need to do on the server side. I don't tell you where to download because I don't know under which license LPD Win is released. I even didn't found it (the license) at all.

Configuration the client side (Ubuntu box) remains the same. Only different is the device URI (use lpd://192.168.8.210/XEROX, insteed).

Read more: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_print_winserver
http://www.penmachine.com/techie/lpdprinting_2003-08.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive tried this a bunch of times actually and i keep getting the error message "Unable to connect to CIFS host" have you managed to solve this yet?

I do not seem to comprehend as to why it is unable to connect to CIFS host.. do you think i need insmod cifs.ko.?

My friend said deleting the printer and re-adding in the CUPS browser interface, http://localhost:631/ maybe when you are trying to add the printer in gnome-cups-add, you are putting in smb://192.168.1.3 for the host, when you should put in 192.168.1.3..

However i do not think this is my problem and that i possibly need insmod cifs.ko.

Thanks and i look forward to your reply,

Eddie

Phan Vinh Thinh said...

Hi,
As I wrote, I didn't resolve the problem of unavailable to connect to CIFS host. I used LPDWin insteed.

Please try insmod cifs.ko. I don't know if it'll help.

Scraping Software said...

Hi friends,

Linux is an open source operating system. An operating system is the program that runs the computer after it boots. Both Linux and Windows have strong products and designs, so choosing between them can be difficult. Thanks a lot.....